Acquiring a Lipizzan
Acquisition of a Lipizzan horse
Process/terms and conditions
Terms and conditions for the acquisition of a Lipizzan horse
Before bid submission or prior to the takeover of the Lipizzan horse, the prospective owner is to confirm that he/she will comply with the obligations, and that he/she is familiar with and fulfils all the prescribed conditions, namely:
- meets all the standard conditions for accommodation and well-being of horses,
- he/she must care for the horse with all due diligence,
- he/she must ensure adequate pasture space or a suitable running area for the horse on a daily basis, and take care of its well-being,
- he/she must provide regular health care,
- the horse should not be used in a way which can reduce its medical fitness,
Advantages for the buyer of a Lipizzan horse from Lipica
The buyer or the new owner of a Lipizzan horse from Lipica becomes a partner of the Lipica Stud Farm; therefore, the Lipica Stud Farm will offer or provide him/her with:
- professional advice on horse breeding,
- advice on all matters related to horse ownership,
- the payment of one-off costs of a mandatory veterinary examination for the presence of infectious diseases, the mandatory protective vaccination of animals, and deworming.
Additional advantages for the new owner of a Lipizzan horse from Lipica:
- The Lipica Stud Farm puts the owner on the list of "Lipizzan friends", upon his/her prior consent,
- the owner is given an annual ticket to visit the stud farm (according to the 1 horse - 1 ticket principle) for the period in which he/she is the owner of the horse,
- the owner is given a family ticket for the event of his/her choice every year in which he/she is the owner of the horse,
- the owner is invited to certain professional events at the Lipica Stud Farm during the period in which he/she is the owner of the horse.
Note: we reserve the right to change the horse sale process.
Information on the horse sale process
Pursuant to the 2020 Annual Plan for the Disposal of Lipizzan Horses adopted by the Government of the Republic of Slovenia, there are more than 140 horses owned by the Republic of Slovenia in the process of being sold by the Lipica Stud Farm.
The horse sale is to be carried out through competitive bidding, or the horses are to be sold to the bidders who offer the highest price. This shall apply irrespective of the starting price.
The sale is to be carried out through competitive bidding via the online sales catalogue at www.lipicanec.si
The sale will be carried out successively, in groups of 10, 20, or more horses, selected by the Lipica Stud Farm.
The group of the various horses selected for sale will be presented and published in the online sales catalogue.
Detailed information on the sales process will also be provided in the online sales catalogue.
I. Round - Bid submission
Prior notification on the commencement of the sale, and call for competition on the various horses selected, which are presented and published in the online sales catalogue at www.lipicanec.si, will be provided to the general public.
The notification shall include the date and time of the commencement and termination of the competitive bidding.
The value of the submitted bid must be equal to or higher than the starting price. The potential buyer should not offer less than the starting price. If he/she fails to do so, the submitted bid shall not be considered, and the potential buyer shall be eliminated.
After the termination of the competitive bidding, the online sales catalogue will be closed, and the submission of bids will no longer be possible.
II. Round - Bid improvement
After the first round of bidding, we will review the submitted bids for each individual horse. For each horse, we will select up to three buyers who have submitted the highest bids, and inform them of the amount of the highest bid; moreover, we will individually invite them to improve their bid (by e-mail or by tender) by the set date and time. We shall not disclose the bidders, nor shall we disclose the amount offered by the individual bidders. We shall only disclose the amount of the highest bid submitted.
We shall not reopen the online sales catalogue for bid improvement.
After the bids are improved, the horse shall be sold to the bidder who offers the highest purchase price in the bid improvement.
Visit to view the horses
During the bidding process, we will set out one or two dates when potential buyers will be able to check the selected horses from an individual group, published in the online sales catalogue. The general public will be informed of the planned dates (by e-mail and/or via the online sales catalogue at www.lipicanec.si and some other online communication channels).
The Lipica Stud Farm reserves the right not to sell a horse for which bids have been submitted, for various reasons (due to illness or injury at the time of sale, the desired price could not be reached and the horse will be put up for sale in the future, etc.).
The Lipica Stud Farm aims to promote a good long-term relationship with the buyers of Lipizzan horses from Lipica. We are focused on buyer satisfaction; therefore, the sale will be transparent, and will include and reveal all the information on the characteristics and health condition of the horse, including the identified personality traits of individual horses.
We aim to find a good home for our Lipizzan horses, where they will feel good and give joy and satisfaction to the new owners.